About Active Monitoring
Every week 250,000 people go to their GP with symptoms of common mental health problems but because of pressures on services and resources, GPs have little alternative than to put patients on long waiting lists.
As people wait for support, their mental health can deteriorate. Early intervention could significantly reduce this.
Active Monitoring is a self-directed program of five face-to-face sessions. As an early intervention program, it works in partnership with GPs to refer patients directly to an Active Monitoring Practitioner within the GP surgery as soon as they present with symptoms of anxiety and panic attacks, anger, depression, low self-esteem, stress, feeling alone and bereavement.
Active Monitoring provides a cost-effective alternative to existing treatments of common mental health problems in the general population. It ensures that a dedicated mental health practitioner can promptly guide patients through treatment options and offer solutions to help them maintain their mental health.
Please speak to your GP if you feel you could benefit from Active Monitoring. We currently operate in the following GP practices in Stratford, Bidford and Worcestershire:
- Abbey Medical Practice
- Arden Medical Centre
- Barn Close Surgery
- Bidford Health Centre
- Bredon Hill Surgery
- Bridge House Medical Centre
- DeMontfort Medical Centre
- Grey Gable Surgery
- Merstow Green Medical Practice
- Riverside Surgery
- Rother House Medical Centre
- Trinity Court Surgery
“The ease with which people are seen, sometimes even on the same day, has been a major benefit. Patients have found the service helpful in improving their mental health. With people being seen more quickly they have not had to comeback repeatedly to see their GP while waiting for an appointment. It has also given GPs a prompt alternative to a prescription.”
Dr Keith Jeffery
Clinical Director for mental health for NHS Oldham CCG
Benefits to GPs
GPs reported that the service benefited patients by being local, quick to access and face-to-face. As Active Monitoring takes pressure off surgery staff by providing patients with more time than a GP is could offer.
With Mind bringing mental health expertise early on, more patients remain within primary care, reducing the need for more expensive primary or secondary care.
The service also provides added value to the CCG by complementing their IAPT targets and outcomes and costs 80% less than a standard IAPT course.
Benefits to Patients
- 8 out of 10 service users reported a reduction in the likelihood of needing further GP use.
- 100% of service users said the programme had been effective in addressing their problem and helped them find a long-term solution.
- 7 out of 10 service users demonstrate improved scores on GAD7?PHQ9, with 0 declining scores recorded to date.
- 9 out of 10 service users said they had successfully applied programme techniques to everyday situations.
- 6 out of 10 service users shared programme techniques to support friends and family.
- 3 out of 10 service users felt they had reduced the need for medication related to their mental health problem.
If you think your GP surgery would benefit from having one of Practitioners on site please do mention this service to your Surgery.